Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Supreme Rumblings

Perhaps I was a bit premature when I postulated last week it might be time for the Bush Administration to throw in the towel on Harriet Miers. I'll admit to being more willing to see what happens than that post let on. The general tone was pretty hard on the President, as he probably deserved -- and has been getting from many on the right. But, I will say it came from having heard so much carping from usually thoughtful conservatives.

So, what's the story now? Well, it still may come to that, but I am willing to see what happens. I must admit it's still not looking all that good for Ms. Miers making it to the hearings -- note the tone of Judge Robert Bork's scathing editorial in the Wall Street Journal today (H/T:Captain's Quarters). However, some of the harsher critics on the right appear to be moderating a bit.

John Podhoretz has been a frequent critic of the Miers pick, but sounds a note of caution to those who place a lot of stock in the Bork viewpoint. The same could also be said for "The Great One" , who went out of his way yesterday to help explain the opposition.

No comments: